Thursday, February 17, 2011

Entry 2 - Wk3 Comments to Bryan Antos: Art of Possibility Ch.5-8

Wk 3 Art of Possibility Chapters 5-8
Bryan’s Comments:
I started out as a PA at my company and then switched over to the edit side, the Yin to production’s Yang. So I loved the first chapter which seemed to be a lot about putting yourself in someone else’s shoes or using your knowledge to help someone else. I was one of the first PAs to ever make that switch and in just my first year as an editor, I was cutting the Super Bowl. That happened because we have intense, pressure-filled deadlines and if I’m editing with production in mind, it makes the whole process easier for everyone. I know what they want and I know what things slow them down.

However, “remembering rule #6” would not be a very useful mantra where I work. A major problem (especially for people coming in from another company) is the amount of intense hostility and shortness at times. You can’t just remember to not take yourself so seriously, you have 60 seconds to know whether or not you have video coming up. You can’t be relaxed. You have to be short, curt, and effective. Facts only. The difference here is that after that incident is over (or more likely: the show is over) you talk with the people involved and tell them no hard feelings. A good producer will work to rebuild after an ugly incident. But most people understand that it’s very serious, and the information has to be transparent and related quickly. Joke after the show, not during.

Not everybody can perform under pressure like that, and it weeds people out. I think that pressure is a good thing most of the time. You are working on instinct and it’s amazing what you can get done in a short amount of time. Now, I’m not like this in every facet of my life, but I am at work, and I am proud of that.

I will say, I did like the story about the two business partners…

The parts about nothing really being good or bad was very intriguing to me. I would say I’m an environmentalist, but when you think about it, what does that really mean? It’s really out of human selfishness. The same with NOT being an environmentalist. When you think about it, millions of species have become extinct. It’s the way of the planet. Greenhouse effects have heated the planet before. It’s the way of the planet. Is it bad for the planet if water levels rise? Not really. It’s bad for humans who have settled near those waters. I’m not advocating one thing or another, I’m just pointing out what book tries to: that good an evil are a human invention.

If anyone reading this hasn’t done so, I highly suggest listening to Bach’s Suite No.2 in D Minor as Chapter 8 talks about. It really is a beautiful piece of music. I suggest listening to Mischa Maisky’s version!


My comments to Bryan:
Bryan,

Once again, you have impressed me with your blogging talents! I totally agree with your thoughts on how Rule Number 6 isn't a universal way of thought in many professions. Yours is definitely no exception! I think that people can take things too serious to an extent, but there is a fine line with that and being professional with the task at hand. Especially in a job like yours, along with the stresses that come along with mine in being an educator today. As much as I like to think I can apply this rule to my life, if I am being completely honest, I know that there are times where the seriousness factor must be in place 95% of the time. Can you imagine not taking myself seriously the majority of the day with 30 6th graders?

I also like your thoughts on not everyone being cut out for performing under pressure. I mean, you don't have to look any further than your boy Jim Kelly. Ok, ok, that was cheap shot. But you're exactly right in saying that performing under pressure is a good thing. If anything, making it this far in the EMDT program has proven that! Great stuff Bryan!

No comments:

Post a Comment