Friday, July 2, 2010

BP3_CarrotSticks




For my BP3 post I decided to explore the Web 2.0 tool of CarrotSticks. I chose to find out more about this application because it has to do with rigorous math practice in all areas of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, while incorporating the interactive factor of competing with students from around the world. And any elementary teacher will tell you that no matter what the grade level, students constantly need to sharpen their skills with math facts. I am at a school where I teach math to 4th, 5th and 6th graders, and when I discovered this tool I was super excited!

So what exactly is CarrotSticks? CarroSticks is an educational Web 2.0 tool that is an online multiplayer game that improves math skills and understanding for 1st - 5th (6th) graders as they practice and compete with other students around the world (Siroker, 2009). All I had to see is the word competition, and I knew that this would be an effective tool to use in the classroom. Students are actually able to challenge, or be challenged, other students that are currently online. Students also accumulate points as they master levels from amateur to difficult in all types of ranges in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The great thing with this is not only can I as the teacher monitor their progress, but the student can see their progress within a specific skill! Students are also allowed to create their own avatar they see on the screen. This is a factor that really gives the student ownership within the game. Anytime a student feels as it they are in control of their own learning, has proven to be very effective. The last thing about CarrotSticks is that it is proven to be safe. A big concern with parents and online games is safety. CarrotSticks only allows students the ability to challenge other peers online and doesn't contain the aspect of chatting or IM. This nailed this Web 2.0 tool home for me to use in the classroom, because not only is it engaging to students, but it is also safe for students of any age to participate in online. So feel free to checkout the link below and explore this Web 2.0 tool out for yourself!

http://www.carrotsticks.com

I created a video through Screenflow to show you the basics of how to use this great Web 2.0 tool.

Click here to view


Siroker, D. (2009). CarrotSticks online math games.
Retrieved from http://www.carrotsticks.com

Images used courtesy of Flickr through a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gregg,

    Math is probably one of the toughest subjects I have taught- the problem may be the same but you may have 20 kids who process the information and the answer in totally different ways. This would be a great tool to individualize lessons- move kids forward who have mastered facts and give kids more practice who need it. I will be trying this out as well as forwarding the link to my son's Gifted and regular classroom teachers. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gregg, I also like CarrotSticks, but I think it's got a huge drawback. The only thing you can access for free is addition practice. That as a teacher is a downfall for me. I simply can't afford to subscribe to every site for my students. Will that stop me from using it for addition practice, NO! Especially since it practices all types of addition problems and not just basic facts.

    ReplyDelete