Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Bonsai

bonsai 
[bon-sahy, -zahy, bohn-, bon-sahy, -zahy, bohn-]

nounplural bonsai.
1.
a tree or shrub that has been dwarfed, as by pruning the roots andpinching, and is grown in a pot or other container and trained toproduce a desired shape or effect.
2.
the art or hobby of developing and growing such a plant or plants.
bonsai
Ok.  So I chose the word bonsai for the word that will inspire me in 2015.  You are probably wondering, why did he choose a word that automatically makes me think of Karate Kid? Obviously not part 2 or 3 because as we all know, those were, well...lame.  My intentions were not to make you think of this classic 80's film, but rather it is a word that is intended to inspire me when it comes to my students.  Each day my 34 6th graders enter my dojo (see what I did there?) ready to be shaped and molded into who they are to become. Naturally I want to say that I alone will be the one that shapes my students, but I primarily chose the word bonsai as a reminder that my students are the ones that are to do the main pruning and training with their learning.  Obviously I am the one that assists them in giving them the "pruning sheers" so-to-speak, but ultimately I want my students to own their education and how and why they are creating their own "shape or effect."  

So as I begin 2015, I shall enter in with the wise words of the late Pat Morita (Mr. Miyagi), "BONSAI! Daniel-san. BONSAI!" 




P.S. I was even inspired to buy my own bonsai tree to put in my classroom!



Photo Attributed to:
Pixabay

4 comments:

  1. Student choice and and ownership are perhaps THE most important thing. Great word to choose for 2015. May you continue to feel your bonsai with plenty of creativity and innovation and it will surely flourish. See what I did there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see what you did there! Thanks for the comment Jo-Ann.

      Delete
  2. This is fabulous, Gregg! Nice job coming up with a much more interesting word than most of us -- bonus points for symbolism! Your pruning point makes me think of the current emphasis on allowing (even celebrating) failure with our students. Failure (and pruning) can be painful, but they make us smarter and more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete