Thursday, February 3, 2011

Entry 2 - Wk1 Comments to Andrea Shikes - Copyright

Week 1-Copyright

Andrea Shikes' post:
Oh, the world of copyright. To be honest with you, it scares the crap out of me. As a teacher, I make my kids cite all the sources they use in research and creating presentations. As a student, I use things that are mine personally (pictures) to be sure that I am not violating copyright laws. It's easier for me to use my own images, than to try and use something from Creative Commons and use it wrong. If I need music, I'll create my own GarageBand loops or find something from freeplaymusic.com. I know I am not distributing my work for profit, but I still freak out to think I am possibly violating some law.
Good Copy, Bad Copy was interesting to watch. It's eye opening to see so many artists and producers out there sampling from each other. I am not sure if I think it's right or not. I can't imagine music without other music. So many times, you hear a song on the radio that sounds like another song, or has been redone by another artist. This is more exposure for the artists, but at what point does the song writer get credit for this. Some recording artists are mega millionaires, but what about the song writers, the behind the scenes people, producers, mixers and so forth. When do they get all the public recognition and mega millions?


My comments:
Andrea. I agree with you about your feelings and fears on the issue of copyright. However, as an educator, I always feel that if we don't attempt to push the envelope than there is no room for growth or change. For instance, Creative Commons is one of those envelope pushers that sort of stands up to some of the laws that don't make things easy for us as teachers to enhance and provide an opportunity for students to create/re-create something different for their own generation. I think the fear comes in when we don't fully understand how to go about copyright and Fair Use, and that is just an issue of learning the guidelines. I too can get a little intimidated with copyright stuff and possibly breaking a law or infringing copyright, but at the same time I don't want my fears to cause me to shy away from giving the best to my students. Great post Andrea!

No comments:

Post a Comment